WE TAKE U SERIOUSLY
The “U” is for Ubuntu [ùbúntú], a Bantu word which speaks to the essence of being human. It can be translated as “I am because we are.”
Desmond Tutu said, “Ubuntu speaks particularly about the fact that you can't exist as a human being in isolation. It speaks about our interconnectedness. You can't be human all by yourself, and when you have this quality - Ubuntu - you are known for your generosity. We think of ourselves far too frequently as just individuals, separated from one another, whereas you are connected and what you do affects the whole world. When you do well, it spreads out; it is for the whole of humanity.”
For U Group, Ubuntu is about being open and available to others, self-assured in our knowledge that we all belong to a greater whole. That whole is diminished when any one of us is diminished, and enhanced when any of one of us are enhanced.
Everything starts in relationship, especially change. We build trust, speak the truth and play the long game of working together for change.
Deeply embodied respect of the dignity and equality of every person is just the right way to be in the world.
Wisdom is found in deep connection, reflection and a commitment to thoughtful action. This must flow out of an evolving sense of who we are and who we are becoming.
Out best action always comes from a place of thoughtfulness, but not always knowing. We act to make change, but also to learn who we are together and how we can make better sense of our world.
NOT CONVINCED YET?
With our clients we have:
• Built culturally sensitive and actionable strategic and business plans.
• Assessed executive leadership performance and prepared for organizational growth.
• Facilitated difficult conversations about future direction of organizations, including turnaround projects.
• Developed and implemented accountability systems throughout leadership levels of organizations.
• Developed and implemented program evaluation processes and systems.
• Designed innovative, evidence based, programs and initiatives
• Developed issue briefs for executive decision making
• Facilitated community consultations
• Conducted stakeholder interviews
• Conducted evaluation of large multi-interest systems
A SHORT LIST OF RECENT CLIENTS
Alberta Adolescent Recovery Centre
The Sh!ft Project to End Domestic Violence, University of Calgary
Calgary Homeless Foundation
Momentum Community Economic Development
Four Directions Foster Parents Association
Canadian Accreditation Council of Canada
Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter
Aboriginal Friendship Centre of Calgary